Languages.Org.Au - TamilLanguages.Org.Au Home → Tamil
On this pageWhy learn Tamil | Links to Languages.Org.Au Tamil resources | Guides, online courses and tutorial sites | Reference | News and current affairs
Naming source for tabs in top navigation bar
ISO 693-3 international domain name codes for languages have been used in the top navigation bar to maximise visibility of links on small portable devices. For more information, see the SIL ISO 693-3 page.
Why learn TamilTamil is spoken by approximately 77 million people and by about 68 million of these as their first language according to Vistawide's World Languages and Cultures page. Tamil language is described in Britannica a member of the Dravidian language family, spoken in India (particularly in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu and the union territory of Puducherry) and is also an official language in Sri Lanka and Singapore. Tamil is also recognised as a classical language. There is a large community of Tamil speakers in Australia and in Canberra. For data based on the 2021 Australian Census, see the summary for language spoken at home in the ACT on the ".id - the population experts" website (select Show all under the table).
Links to Languages.Org.Au Tamil resources
- CAL Tamil 2020 – Semester 1
- CAL Tamil 2020 – Semester 2
- CAL Tamil 2021 – Semester 1
- CAL Tamil 2021 – Semester 2
- CAL Tamil 2022 – Semester 1
- CAL Tamil 2022 – Semester 2
- CAL Tamil 2023 – Semester 1
Guides, online courses and tutorial resources for learners of TamilThese are listed alphabetically.
- Conversational Tamil – a series of simple lessons to learn to speak Tamil through English. Select the "Lessons" tab to explore the learning resources.
- ilearn Tamil – Learn Tamil through English, with ten Tamil lessons; verbs; dictionaries; nouns in Tamil and English, calendar and important days; grammar.
- Memrise Tamil – a range of options including Beginners Tamil Script, Beginners' Tamil, Basic Tamil Vocabulary, Intermediate and Advanced Tamil, 100 Tamil Verbs, A1 Tamil Course, Basic Tamil Words, and Colloquial Tamil.
- How to learn Tamil – an introductory page with some tips on learning Tamil, including notes on the Tamil script, vowels and consonants, and recommendations on some useful materials and websites such as lessons from the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Texas at Austin, the Central Institute of Indian Languages and the government of Tamil Nadu's Virtual Academy.
Reference sites for learners of TamilSome reference resources for Tamil language are listed below alphabetically.
- Lexilogos Tamil dictionary
- Tamil Dictionary
- Tamil – Oxford Living Dictionaries
- Systran online translation – This uses Systran machine translation technology for translation between languages.
News and current affairs for Tamil speaking communitiesThese are listed alphabetically.
- First Post Tamil Media Channels
- IBC Tamil News Website
- One India Tamil
- Seithi News & Current Affairs
- Tamil Flash News
- IBC Tamil News Website
Last updated© Languages.Org.Au
Resources for language learning
Managed by the Canberra Academy of Languages